From Maasai Mara to Lake Turkana
Region: Northern and Central Kenya
Duration: 14 days including 3.5 of game drives, 2.5 of easy hikes, 2 of boat rides and walks…
Type: Exploration, game drives, walks, cultural encounters, boat rides – nights in tents, lodges and bungalows
- Game drives in 4×4 vehicle: 3.5 days (Maasai Mara and Samburu National Reserves)
- Nature observation on boat and on foot
- Easy hikes: 2.5 days (2-day camel trek and 1/2-day walk in Samburu)
- Cultural encounters with pastoralist peoples of the North: Samburu, Rendille, El Molo and Turkana
- Boat ride on Lake Turkana: 2 days with time for walks
Physical level: Easy
Period: June to October
Group: 3 to 7 participants
A sneak preview:
The Great African Rift Valley, that cuts across the whole eastern part of the dark continent on approximately 6000km, designing a sumptuously tormented relief in Kenya: abrupt volcanoes and mountains, vertiginous escarpments that cut through highlands, salt lakes fed by hot springs… It is therefore only natural that this Rift is the guiding thread of this beautiful expedition across Kenya, from Maasai Mara upto the “Jade Sea”.
Furthermore, the idea behind the conception of this trip is to propose to you a true Kenyan “best”, leading you to the best that the country has to offer; memorable game drives, cultural encounters with amazing peoples and impressive landscapes sculpted by the Rift Valley, with a maximum amount of time off beaten tracks.
- An intense journey that allows you to experience all at once, amazing game drives in the unmissable Maasai Mara Reserve and use the most untamed and unknown routes of the North, upto Lake Turkana,
- Alternating game drives, easy hikes and cultural encounters across superb landscapes, enjoying Kenya in all its richness!
- A trip marked by 2 days of boat rides on Lake Turkana to explore Nabuyatom and Teleki volcanoes,
- Easy hikes (with 2 days of camel walks) together with unforgettable cultural encounters with pastoralist peoples of the North: Rendille, Samburu, Turkana, EL Molo,
- Very personalized guiding by a team that has perfectly mastered this region and this type of expedition,
- Group size that is limited to 7 participants and a departure confirmed as from 3 people.
Day by day plan:
Day 1: Nairobi > Mount Kenya: 3-hour drive to the primary forests at the foot of Mount Kenya, where we will do simple hiking as we search for monkeys and birds endemic to the region. Night in lodge.
Day 2: Mount Kenya > Samburu Reserve: 2.5 hour’s drive to reach Samburu National Reserve. We go for a mid morning and afternoon game drive where, besides the big African fauna are species adapted to arid areas of Northern Kenya. Basic camping for the night, close to Ewaso Ngiro river.
Day 3: Samburu > Rendille land: The morning is dedicated to a game drive, then we drive (2.5 to 3 hours) to Rendille land (pronounced “re-ndi-le”), at the foot of Ndoto Mountains (“dream mountains” in Swahili!). Basic camping for the night.
Days 4 and 5: 2 days of walk between Rendille and Samburu lands: 2 days of easy camel walks at the foot of Ndoto Mountains (4 to 5 hours’ walk per day, camel ride being optional). Surrounded by granitic peaks, we get to a natural pool hollowed out in rocks. Intimate cultural encounters with our guides and camel handlers.
Day 6: Rendille land > Lake Turkana: Visit the camp of our Rendille team before embarking on a drive to Lake Turkana (about 4 hours’ drive). After settling-in in comfortable bungalows, we will go to visit the smallest of Kenya’s ethnic groups, the El Molo, at their village on the shores of the lake.
Days 7 and 8: Boat: 2 days of boat ride on Lake Turkana: Limited boat rides to allow us time to explore on foot, a few superb volcanoes isolated in the confines of the “Jade Sea”. One night of bush camping on the shores of the lake then on the 8th day we leave the lake, ending the day with a short drive (1.5 hours) on our 4×4 vehicle to the welcoming village of South Horr in the Samburu mountains, night in bungalows.
Day 9: Samburu land: About 3.5 hours’ drive to the most impressive escarpments of Samburu land. In the afternoon, a stroll up to Lesiolo peak that dominates the whole Rift Valley on whose floor we spent the previous days… basic camping for the night.
Day 10: Samburu land > Lake Naivasha: About 5 hours’ drive to reach Lake Naivasha, the highest lake in the Rift Valley, where we will do a boat ride to see hippos and birds. Comfortable camping for the night.
Day 11: Lake Naivasha > Maasai Mara Reserve: 5 hours’ drive to arrive at the western part of Maasai Mara National Reserve that is farther away and therefore less visited. Game drive in the afternoon. We spend 3 nights in a private camp in the heart of the reserve, guarded by our Maasai hosts.
Day 12 and 13: Maasai Mara Reserve: 2 full days of game drives, all the big African fauna are present: big cats and their prey, elephants, giraffes… Specialists agree that when it comes to safari, “this is where everything happens”.
Day 14: Maasai Mara > Nairobi: A brief morning game drive before embarking on the drive back to Nairobi (7 hours).Back to the tours list